In his mind, my cousin’s dog Logan–a pitbull mix–just sees himself as one of the boys, constantly playing and protecting his two little brothers. In fact, not so long ago, the dog chased a bear (!) off the property to protect the kids (who were safely inside and nowhere near the animal)
My own dog, a westhighland terrier, never made the list of “best breeds for kids.” Yet, he loved children and would pull at the leash whenever he saw any kid–so he could go over to greet him or her.. “He has the sweetest, kindest eyes,” a mother once told me. Baxter (the dog) was small, but strudy so he could withstand any rough play.
Some insist that mixed-breeds are the way to go–that makes sense, espdecially if it has genes from a kid-friendly breed (Logan’s is part Pitbull–which has made the list–but we don’t know his other breed is.)
The point is that, while certain breeds are always highlighted as the best for kids, breed-alone isn’t always a true indicator. Sometimes environmental factors come into play. I’m sure in Logan’s case, he’s always been treated as an integral part of the family so he knows no other way. I know Baxter’s breeder had several young kids–who I’m sure always played with him.
In these cases, the dogs make positive associations.
That said, these breeds are also considered good with kids.
1. Bulldog. This dog is really sturdy, quiet, friendly and loyal.
2. Beagle. This breed does shed a lot–but it’s sturdy and cheerful.
3. Bull Terrier. This one is very active and needs a lot of play–so it’s especially good for large families.
4. Collie. The collie’s long hair does require a lot of brushing and grooming–but this is a very gentle breed.
5. Newfoundland. This one does have a tendancy to drool (a lot), but it’s gentle, patient and kind.
6. Pit Bull. The American Pit Bull, especially, is known for its love of children–the dog is loyal, protective and devoted.
7. Labrador. This breed has consistently been ranked as the #1 favorite in America. it’s protective, playful and loyal.
8. Poodle. They don’t shed, so they’re good for kids with allergies. Smart and gentle.
9. irish Setter. Playful, energetic, loves being around people.
10. Golden Retriever. Kind and smart.